Select Your Region

This choice will be remembered for future visits.

Ask the Route Setters: What Are Volumes?

Welcome to our new Ask the Route Setters series, where we ask questions new climbers might.

First up – something that might stick out on your mind – what’s up with those large, protruding holds on the BKB walls, what are they called and how does one use ’em?

They’re called Volumes – aptly so, as they add volume to the walls. If a piece of tape is added to the side of the volume, then the ENTIRE block, including all the holds on ’em, is game for you to use.


Exception: if a particular hold is taped on the volume, then it is only that hold you may use.

Go forth, young Jedi.

Get the latest news, events, and promotions from Brooklyn Boulders. [emma_form]