Brooklyn Boulders (BKB) and the Brooklyn Boulders Foundation (BKBF) are accepting applications for their second annual Scholarship program. Youth from low-income families have the opportunity to climb for a week at Brooklyn Boulders’ Summer Adventure program when they apply before Friday, May 6th.
What are the benefits of climbing?
“I was introduced to climbing at the young age of 21 at an indoor climbing facility located in Riverside, CA. From the moment I topped my first climb I was hooked – and to this day, can’t imagine a future without climbing. As a child I had no opportunities to be introduced to the sport of climbing. I am so excited that we are able to offer more scholarships and opportunities for kids to enjoy the sport as much as I do,” says Ashton Horton, Youth Program Manager.
“Climbing is inherently experience based learning. You are shown time and time again that you CAN do something, if you try – fail – learn from those failures – and try again. Climbing helps to build confidence, problem solving skills, and is one of the best full body workouts I’ve ever tried.”
Who is Brooklyn Boulders Foundation?
“Brooklyn Boulders launched the Brooklyn Boulders Foundation, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization in 2010 with the mission to spread climbing accessibility to inner-city youth and people with disabilities. Since then, we have impacted over 1,200 lives with the experience of Rock climbing and community,” says Lindsey Saldivar, BKBF manager.
“In 2015 we piloted our first-ever Summer Adventures Scholarship Program and were able to award two brothers, Ryan and Jason a week-long session climbing at Brooklyn Boulders. This year, in 2016 we are excited to announce that we able to offer a scholarship to 10 youth in the New York City area. Applications are due May 6th so apply today!”
How do I apply?
- Fill out the application
- Gather your 2015 Federal Tax Return (forms 1040, pages 1 & 2; or 1040EZ)
- If you do not file federal income taxes, please call 1-800-tax-form for a verification letter.
- Copies of your last 2 paycheck stubs or a letter from your employer stating annual salary
- Any supporting documentation listed in the salary line items.
- If you are currently unemployed, collect social security, or are a full-time student, please provide a summary of your unemployed benefits, SSI paperwork, or financial aid benefits and current student schedule.
- Email all documents and the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline to Apply: Friday May 6th at 5pm
If you have any questions or concerns, contact email@example.com.
For more information on Brooklyn Boulders Foundations and their missions, values, and programs, visit bkbf.org.